The costs of the 2018 International Geography Bee World Championships are as follows:
1400 USD – International Geography Bee World Championships (6 nights lodging from July 11-17, does not include night of July 17)
2475 USD – Combined registration for International Geography Bee World Championships & International History Olympiad (11 nights lodging from July 11-22, does not include night of July 22)
110 USD – Supplement for students staying over on night of July 10. Includes dinner on July 10 (if needed) and breakfast and lunch on July 11.
130 USD – Supplement for students staying over on night of July 17. Includes meals through lunch on July 17 and chance to take part in museum visits on the late afternoon of July 17.
295 USD – Supplement for students staying on until July 19. Includes lodging on nights of July 17 and 18, chance to take part in museum visits on the late afternoon of July 17, all meals through lunch on July 19, and visit to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp and Memorial on July 18.
**** These prices only apply to the first 130 students and/or students who register by April 10! After April 10, we need to give the youth hostel a fixed number of registrants, so the price isn’t guaranteed after that point. Note that there is not a maximum number of students who can come and compete, but that after the first 130 students, or for students registering after April 10, we cannot guarantee space in the youth hostel, and would then need to find alternate lodging arrangements which might be more expensive. ****
1. These costs include all the meals from dinner on July 11. Breakfast and/or Lunch can be purchased that day for $10 USD each for early arrivals. Dinner (for those leaving after 8pm) on July 17 is available for $12 USD.
2. It is not typically permitted to stay at a spot apart from our group unless you live or attend school in the city of Berlin or have a health issue that precludes this (see 2A). Students who live or attend school in the city of Berlin can take part as day students for 50% of the posted prices. This does not include overnight accommodations or breakfast (it does include lunch and dinner). Students taking part in this option are responsible for their own transportation (i.e. we will not provide chaperones or cover prices) between their homes and venues
2A. Students with health needs who need to stay with a parent(s) or guardian at the parents and family hotel may do this. If they do this at double occupancy, the parent pays single occupancy, and then there is no surcharge for the student. If the student stays with two people in the room, and the room is thus triple occupancy, there is a $100 surcharge for the student ($150 if competing in both Intl. Geography Bee World Championships and the Intl. History Olympiad), and the parents otherwise pay double occupancy.
3. There is no charge for airport (Tegel or Schönefeld) or train station (Berlin Hauptbahnhof) bus station (or Central Bus Station) pick up or drop off during standard times. However, for arrivals or departures taking place after 10pm or before 8am, an extra $50 fee applies.
4. There is the option to stay one extra night at the start (July 10). The extra night includes up to 3 meals (i.e. from dinner on July 10). The extra night costs $115 per night. Pickups and drop offs at airports or bus/train stations are still included with the usual surcharge for pickups / drop offs outside normal hours.
5. We accept the following methods of payment: US dollar check, wire transfer, credit card or Paypal. For payments by wire transfer, a 30 USD fee applies. All wire transfers must be paid in US dollars, namely, the amount we receive must be the amount owed in US dollars, plus the transfer fee. If your bank charges additional fees, these must be taken into account in addition to this. For payments by credit card and Paypal, a $50 USD processing fee applies.
6. Instructions regarding submitting payment by check and wire transfer will be forwarded to participants upon registration, while for credit cards and PayPal, you can pay after registering here. Payments will be accepted between February 10 and April 10.
7.Payment, Refund, and Cancellation Policy
No participant will be allowed to take part unless all payments and applicable late fees have been paid and received prior to July 10! Payments are due by April 10. Payments made between April 10 and July 1 will be accepted, but are liable for surcharges to any increases in the accommodations that the hotel / hostel passes on to us. For payments not received by July 5 (to allow for a four-day grace period), a $100 late fee applies.
As for refunds, we can refund payments in full, minus a $100 processing fee until April 10. From April 10-June 20, we can issue a 50% refund for payment. After June 20, no refunds will be given for any reason.