The inaugural International Geography Bee World Championships will be held on July 12-17, 2018 in Berlin, Germany with events being held at the John F. Kennedy School and around Berlin. July 11 will be the arrival day; students may arrive at any point in time during that day, but must be in Berlin by that evening. For early arrivals there are a few events that day too, though no official competitions. It is possible to compete in both the International History Olympiad and the IGB World Championships if you are qualified for both!
- Click here to download the Draft Schedule of the 2018 IGB World Championships (Excel format)
- Scroll down the page for a list of registered students!
A preliminary draft of the schedule of events for the 2018 International Geography Bee World Championships has now been posted here. We have expanded upon the original idea for IGB Worlds to create a unique, multi-faceted program of events, taking full advantage of our location in one of the world’s great cities. We can confirm that all of the competitions listed in this draft will take place, though we reserve the right to rearrange the order if needed. Sightseeing plans are subject to change, but the final sightseeing arrangements will strongly resemble what is shown here on the schedule. Additionally, we will be making arrangements for the Closing Ceremonies, Guest Speakers, and Special Events on a continual basis from now through Spring 2018. Schedule drafts will be updated as further arrangements are finalized.
Additional information (including where students will stay, costs, event descriptions, logistics, and more) will be posted on a continuous basis from now through Spring 2018. Note the following though:
1. In contrast with the International History Olympiad, all competition events on the IGB World Championships calendar are mandatory for all competing students.
2. Three separate events: the Intl. Geography Exam, the Intl. Geography Showdown, and the Intl. Geography Quiz will together constitute the official IGB World Championship title. There will also be a medals table for all events kept by country. As is the case at the International History Olympiad, students from the USA will compete for their home states unless they have a foreign passport and wish to compete for their country of citizenship.
List of Registered Students (Students in the USA compete for their state; other students or students in the USA with non-US passports who wish to do so compete for their countries)
The following students are registered for the 2018 International Geography Bee World Championships. This list will be updated continually through the end of June 2018. Last updated on December 16, 2017.
no * or # = Varsity
* = Junior Varsity
# = Middle School
1. Dhruv Nistala, Westwood High School, TX, USA *
2. Anita Shanker, Mountain Lakes High School, NJ, USA
3. Jonah Leibu, The York School, Canada *
4. Vaibhav Hariram, Cedar Fork Elementary, NC, USA #
5. Aarush Zarabi, Williams Elementary School, CA USA #
6. Vijay Siddharth, NPS International School, Singapore (playing for India)
7. Avi Goel, Silver Creek High School, CA, USA #
8. Ram Gindzin, Forest Hills Central School, MI, USA *
9. Drake Nemorin, Emmaus Christian College, Australia #
10. Rohith Madhuker, Carnage Middle School, NC, USA #
11. Kaylan Patel, Windermere Preparatory School, FL, USA #
12. Anish Deshpande, Masconomet Regional Middle School, MA, USA #
13. Saket Pochiraju, Olentangy Orange Middle School, OH, USA #
14. Satvik Pochiraju, Olentangy Meadows Elementary School, OH, USA #
15. Pranav Kanmadikar, duPont Manual, KY, USA *
16. Nishita Belur, Challenger Strawberry Park, CA, USA *